Thursday 6 October 2011

Valencia's Ricardo Costa Admits Possible January move

Valencia centre-back Ricardo Costa says he will consider a move in the winter transfer window if he remains out of coach Unai Emery's first-team plans.

The Portugal international joined Valencia in the summer of 2010 for an undisclosed fee and played a key role in the club's backline in his first season at the Mestalla, making 36 appearances in all competitions.

This term, however, Ricardo Costa has been relegated to the periphery, and he has not featured for Valencia since the club's 4-3 victory against Racing Santander on August 27.

Last month, the former Porto defender said he was not concerned about his lack of playing time, but he has now indicated that he may find himself on the move in January.

"I do not know whether Unai Emery has lost trust in me, he has never discussed that with me, and I do not have to ask him that either," a statement issued by the player reads.

"I had a very good first season, I played well in this pre-season and suddenly something changed.

"But I am here and I will not throw in the towel. If the coach wants me to play, I will play. If he does not, then we will see what the best solution for my career is."

Spanish sources suggest Ricardo Costa's lack of first-team opportunities is related to his poor display in the Racing Santander game, but the defender sees no reason for such stories.

"Was it Valencia who suffered the goals or was it me?," he continued.

"I should remind everyone that I was replaced at half time and that the team had only suffered two goals with me on the pitch. When Racing scored their third, I was no longer playing.

"Moreover, I remember that match well and I do not remember playing alone. There have also been matches in which we could have suffered as many goals as the ones we suffered against Racing or even more, and I was not on the pitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment