Friday 5 August 2011

QPR Complete Campbell Transfer

QPR have signed striker DJ Campbell from Blackpool for a fee believed to be in the region of £1.25 million.

Campbell, 29, was a revelation for the Tangerines in the Premier League last season - scoring 13 goals as Ian Holloway's side narrowly succumbed to relegation on the last day of the season.

The former Birmingham frontman will have the opportunity to test himself in the top flight again after completing his switch to Loftus Road, where he will likely partner fellow new signing Jay Bothroyd in Neil Warnock's attack in the coming season.

Warnock had been chasing Campbell for some time and has finally landed his man, a player with a proven Premier League pedigree following his excellent 2010-11 campaign for Blackpool. The move to QPR marks a return to West London for Campbell, who was born in Hammersmith and made his professional debut for Brentford after being signed from non-league Yeading in 2005.

"It's a club that I supported as a kid," an excited Campbell told QPR's official website. "I grew up around here and QPR have played a massive part in my life. This was my first club, from 6-16, so to finally be back here at the age of 29 is really special. It's a massive club and it means a lot to me to be back here where it all began.

"There were other clubs in the Premier League that showed an interest but when I heard QPR were in for me it was an offer I couldn't refuse - this is my club."

Warnock said he is looking forward to working with the new No. 9, saying: "He is someone I have admired for a while now and he had a fabulous season in the Premier League with Blackpool last year. He is a QPR fan and you can tell he has a great desire to do well for the club he supports.

"That shone through when I met up with him - he can't wait to play for us. He also gives us that extra element of pace which we need and I am sure he will prove to be a big hit with the fans at Loftus Road this season."

Campbell is the fourth signing of the summer, following the moves of Bothroyd, Kieron Dyer and Danny Gabbidon to last season's Championship winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment